- 12 ounces raw large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- salt and sugar to taste
- 2 T. vegetable or canola oil
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cp. chicken broth
- 1/2 T. Chinese cooking wine (Shaoxing wine) or substitute with dry white cooking wine
- 3/4 cp. frozen peas and carrots
- 3 dashes white pepper
- 1/2 T. light soy sauce
- 1 T. cornstarch
- 2 T. water
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Lightly season shrimp with salt and sugar.
- In a wok, heat oil on medium heat. When oil is hot, add ginger and garlic and stir fry until aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp to wok and stir-fry until half-cooked or surface turns opaque.
- Pour in chicken broth and wine. Let boil.
- Add frozen vegetables, white pepper, soy sauce and salt and sugar to taste. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl or dish, mix cornstarch with water then gently pour mixture into wok while stirring to thicken.
- Swirl in beaten egg then when egg white begins to look stringy turn off the heat.
- Serve with warm rice.