Made from my grandma’s recipe. These bars were always my dad’s favorite bars. Whenever we went over to my grandma’s house, my dad would take my sister and I down to the basement freezer to sneak some spice bars. They are very delicious right out of the fridge or freezer.
- 1 cp. raisins
- 1 cp. boiling water
- 1/2 cp. canola oil
- 1 cp. sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 3/4 cp. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 2 cps. powdered sugar
- 1/2 cp. butter, softened
- 1 T. flour
- 1 1/2 tsps. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour one 9×13 pan.
- Place 1 cp. water in the microwave for about 3-4 minutes until water boils. Dump raisins in and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Raisins will plump up from the water.
- After 5 minutes, stir the oil into the water with the raisins and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, in a medium size bowl, mix sugar and egg. Sift in flour, salt, baking soda, and spices. Mix thoroughly.
- Add raisins, water, and oil mixture into bowl and mix until combined.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
- To make the frosting, mix powdered sugar, butter, flour and vanilla.
- Cool bars completely then add frosting. Keep in fridge or freezer.