Happy 50th Birthday to my favorite janitor at work! I’ve been waiting for a special reason to bake this cake and this is definitely special enough. The cake is very moist and you might even consider it healthy with the 16 ounce container of strawberries I dumped into the batter. Each person that had a piece was left wanting more. It is always fun baking with alcohol 🙂 enjoy!
- 2 cps. flour
- 2 cps. sugar
- 2 tsps. lime zest
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- (1) 16 oz. container fresh strawberries
- 2 T. orange juice
- 2 T. lime juice
- 1/2 cp. sour cream
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cp. (2 sticks) salted butter, melted
- 1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter, very soft
- 2 T. tequila
- 1 T. triple sec
- 2 T. prepared strawberry puree
- 1 Lb. confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, lime zest, and salt and set aside.
- Blend strawberries, orange juice, and lime juice in a blender until completely liquified.
- Remove 3 tablespoons of the puree and set it aside for the frosting.
- In a large separate bowl, whisk together the remaining strawberry puree, eggs, vanilla and baking soda.
- Pour the strawberry mixture into the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Fold in sour cream and melted butter until completely combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cake is set and no longer jiggly in the middle.
- To make the frosting: place the softened butter in a large bowl or body of a stand mixer, add the tequila, triple sec, and strawberry puree; beat until smooth.
- Add the confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time and stir/ beat vigorously to get all of the lumps out.
- Spread the icing over the cake as soon as it’s cooled. Serve at room temperature.
- Cake stays fresh for up to 3 days.