This pasta bake is a variation from my pizza casserole dish except this can be used as a dip with garlic or cheese bread. I also used marinara sauce, in this instead of Ragu, which I usually use in my homemade pizza dishes. One of my boyfriend’s favorite meals is the pizza casserole so I knew he would like this one too. Check out my pizza casserole at this link: https://popcornvalentinaandlimes.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/pizza-casserole/
- 1 lb. pasta shells
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cps. marinara sauce
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cps. shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cp. Parmesan cheese
- about 30 pepperonis, salami, Canadian bacon or sausage sliced into halves
- optional: add veggies if you like
- optional toppings: chopped fresh basil or Italian parsley, shaved Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook pasta al dente according to package instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes, until it is cooked and translucent.
- Add the garlic and oregano and cook for 1 more minute, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Once the pasta is finished cooking, drain the water and return the pasta back to the pot. Stir in the garlic/onion mixture, the marinara sauce, diced tomatoes, 1 cup Mozzarella, Parmesan and meat choice. Mix until well-blended.
- Transfer the pasta to a greased baking dish, and then sprinkle the remaining Mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered for about 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starts to brown around the edges.