This dish is so easy to prepare and is ready within 45 minutes to an hour. It is taken from the traditional pasta primavera but made into a healthy twist. Thin strips of carrots are added instead of the noodles and I added chicken for additional protein. If you want to keep this meal vegetarian, then you can certainly leave out the chicken. It was a blast cooking this with my mom this weekend; we make a great team in the kitchen. And not to mention, I got to use her nice new pans!! Impress your friends and family by making this meal; it tastes like it is from a restaurant. 🙂
- Optional: 1 Lb. chicken breast
- 2-3 large carrots, peeled and julienned or regular carrot peeler
- 1/2 T. coconut oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced into rounds and rinsed off
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends broken off and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cp. fresh or frozen peas
SUN-DRIED TOMATO BASIL-HEMP PESTO:
- 1 small clove garlic
- 3/4 cp. fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cp. oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cp. hulled hemp seeds
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T water
- Scant 1/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt or pink Himalayan sea salt, or to taste
- Cook chicken in a skillet with a little water, salt, and pepper and cover until thoroughly cooked. When done, cut chicken into short 1 inch strips.
- With a julienne peeler or regular peeler, peel the carrots into thin, spaghetti-like or fettuccine-like strands. Cover with a damp tea towel or damp paper towel to avoid it drying out.
- Add oil to a large skillet or wok, and preheat over medium. Add sliced leek and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add a couple pinches of salt and several grounds of pepper.
- Add the asparagus to the skillet and saute for around 8 minutes more, until tender. Increase heat if necessary. Finally, stir in the peas and cook until heated throughout. Add cooked chicken.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto. Add the garlic into a food processor and process until minced.
- Add in the basil and sun-dried tomatoes and process again until smooth.
- Add hemp seeds, lemon juice, oil, water, and salt and process again until combined and smooth.
- Stir all the pesto into the vegetable skillet mixture and cook until heated throughout. Season to taste.
- Serve the vegetable pesto mixture on top of the carrot pasta.
Adapted from: Ohsheglows.com