Delicious and believe it or not, melt in your mouth chicken. The chicken is glazed with strawberry jelly and balsamic vinegar giving it a sweet finish.
- 2 (10 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cp. panko or corn flake crumbs
- 1/3 cp. sliced almonds, coarsely ground
- 1 T. chopped fresh rosemary or 1 tsp. dried, crushed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 tsp. canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cp. diced shallot or sweet onion
- 1/3 cp. strawberry preserves (use a less sugar jam for a less sweet sauce, if desired)
- 3 T. balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cp. low-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- Cut through thickness of each chicken breast, as if butterflying, but cut entirely through to create to two portions (if each portion isn’t about 1/2-inch thick then pound with a meat mallet until nearly that thickness).
- In a gallon size resealable bag combine crumbs, almonds, rosemary and season with salt and pepper (about 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper). Working with one chicken breast at a time, place in resealable bag and shake to coat, while slightly pressing as needed to get crumbs to stick.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Transfer two chicken breasts to pan, and cook until golden brown on bottom about 1 1/2 – 2 minutes. Then lift chicken breasts and rotate chicken to opposite side and cook until bottom is golden brown.
- Add 2 more tsp. of oil and repeat process with remaining two chicken breasts.
- Transfer chicken to prepared baking dish and bake in preheated oven until chicken has cooked through, about 30 minutes (internal temp should register 165 degrees on a thermometer).
- For the glaze: In a small saucepan, add shallots and saute until tender.
- Add strawberry preserves, balsamic vinegar, chicken broth and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce heat slightly and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 – 6 minutes.
- Spread glaze over the warm chicken.