This stroganoff recipe is made using ground cashews to make a cashew cream instead of using sour cream, butter, or heavy cream. It still has a delicious taste and can be made vegan or vegetarian by omitting the steak and substituting the beef broth for mushroom broth or low-sodium vegetable broth.
- 1 top sirloin steak
- 2/3 cp. raw cashews
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 box mushrooms
- 1/2 onion
- 2 1/2 cps. beef broth
- 1 T. mustard
- 1 T. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 T. parsely
- Place cashews in a small bowl and cover by about 1 inch with boiling water. Let soak 30 minutes.
- Cut the steak into thin strips and cook in a medium size skillet.
- After 30 minutes, drain water from cashews and place them in a blender with 1/4 cp. water, vinegar, and salt. Blend until smooth; add a tablespoon of water at a time as needed to make the cashew cream.
- Halve or quarter the mushrooms and chop the onion.
- Place mushrooms and onion in a different skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms and onions begin to brown. Add broth a few tablespoons at a time to keep the mushrooms and onions from sticking to the bottom of the pan as needed, until mushrooms and onions are browned and softened, 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in remaining broth, mustard, paprika and pepper with the mushrooms and onions. Bring to a boil then simmer until the mushrooms are very tender and the sauce has thickened, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the cashew cream. Add steak and mix together.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with either rice or noodles.