This year my mom and I decided to make something cute and fun for our Christmas cookies. These hedgehogs have a very simple recipe and they are pretty easy to decorate.
- 1 cp. butter, softened
- 3/4 cp. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 cps. flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cp. melted milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cp. crushed walnuts
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Form cookies in a oval shape with a pointed end. Cookies should be between 1/2-3/4 of an inch thick. You might want to test one in the oven before shaping all of them and cooking them.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until set but not brown.
- Melt chocolate and using a small knife or spoon spread chocolate onto the top about 3/4 of the way down opposite the hedgehog’s nose.
- Sprinkle crushed walnuts on top.
- Using a kabob stick or a toothpick dip in the chocolate then dot two eyes a nose. (I tend to make the nose more heart shaped.)