The New York style cheesecake is a more rich, thick, and dense form of cheesecake. I enjoyed this cheesecake more than the typical cheesecake. Try it for yourself and enjoy :). You can top it with melted caramel, chocolate, or even jelly.
- 1 cp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cp. butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 cp. sugar
- 1 egg yolk
Filling and Topping
- 5 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 3/4 cps. sugar
- 3 T. all-purpose flour
- 1 T. grated orange peel
- 1 T. grated lemon peel
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cp. whipping cream
- 3/4 cp. whipping cream
- 1/3 cp. slivered almonds, toasted, if desired
- Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease 9-inch springform pan with shortening; remove bottom. In medium bowl, mix all crust ingredients with fork until dough forms; gather into a ball.
- Press one-third of the dough evenly on bottom of pan. Place on cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown; cool.
- Assemble bottom and side of pan; secure side. Press remaining dough 2 inches up side of pan.
- Increase oven temperature to 475°F.
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, flour, orange peel, lemon peel and salt with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until smooth.
- Beat in eggs, 2 egg yolks and 1/4 cup whipping cream, beating on low speed until well blended.
- Pour into baked crust. Bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 200°F. Bake 1 hour longer.
- Cheesecake may not appear to be done, but if a small area in the center seems soft, it will become firm as cheesecake cools. (Do not insert a knife to test for doneness because the hole could cause cheesecake to crack.)
- Turn off oven; leave cheesecake in oven 30 minutes longer. Remove from oven and cool in pan on cooling rack away from drafts 30 minutes.
- Without releasing or removing side of pan, run metal spatula carefully along side of pan to loosen cheesecake.
- Refrigerate uncovered about 3 hours or until chilled; cover and continue refrigerating at least 9 hours but no longer than 48 hours.
- Run metal spatula along side of pan to loosen cheesecake again. Remove side of pan; leave cheesecake on pan bottom to serve.
- In chilled small bowl, beat 3/4 cup whipping cream with electric mixer on high speed until stiff. Spread whipped cream over top of cheesecake. Decorate with almonds. Store covered in refrigerator
*I did not add any topping to mine upon request of the people I made it for but I think it adds a nice finish adding the whipped cream topping . You can always add a sour cream topping as well.