This taco pie is similar to the taco pie on this blog except it has Doritos in between each layer instead of tortillas. It is still healthy and very delicious. You can see in the pictures below one side has less cheese because I don’t eat as much cheese.
- 1 & 1/2 pounds ground or shredded chicken
- salsa roja (recipe below)
- 1 onion
- 1 1/2 cps. refried beans (recipe below)* If in a hurry you can use a can.
- 1 small bag nacho cheese Doritos
- 1 small bag of mozzarella cheese or 1/2 a block of queso quesadilla
- 3 tomato romas
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cp. water from the pan they boil in
- 1/2 t ground oregano
- 1 t oregano leaves
- 2 t salt
- Cut across the tops of the onion and tomatoes making an asterisks on the top about an 1/8 of the way down.
- Place in a pan on the stove on high.
- Add a pinch of oregano leaves to the water.
- Boil in the water until soft.
- When they are soft, remove them from the water and place in a blender or magic bullet and blend while adding 1/2 cp. water from the pan, oregano, oregano leaves and salt. (If you only have one of the types of oregano that is okay. Just add a pinch more)
- 1 1/2 peruano or pinto beans
- salt to taste
- 1 T. corn oil
- 1/2-1 jalapeno (optional)
- Make 1 1/2 cps beans according to the bag adding salt to taste.
- Once thoroughly cooked and soft transfer the beans to a saucepan with 1 T corn oil.
- While the beans are cooking, using a bean smasher or big spoon, smash them so they are completely smooshed.
- You can add a 1/2-1 jalapeno that is chopped real small if you like spice.
Dorito Taco Pie:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large skillet with a little water over medium heat, saute the chicken. Add the onion and saute for 5 more minutes.
- Drain any excess water.
- Add salsa roja to a small saucepan and add chicken and onion. Bring to a boil then shut off.
- In a 9×9 or 9×13 casserole dish, spread a thin layer of crushed up Doritos in the bottom.
- Cover with a layer of meat mixture followed by beans, then a layer of cheese.
- Repeat meat, beans, cheese pattern. (I did 2 layers in a 9×13 but you may have too do 3 or 4 layers in a 9×9.)
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve with lettuce, chopped tomato, sour cream, guacamole and salsa tomatillo.