This taco pie isn’t your typical taco pie; it is a more authentic taco pie. It is made with chicken instead of ground beef, corn tortillas, homemade re-fried beans and homemade salsa roja.
- 1 & 1/2 pounds chicken
- salsa roja (recipe below)
- 1 onion
- 1 1/2 cps. refried beans (recipe below)* If in a hurry you can use a can.
- 8-12 corn tortillas
- 1 bag of mexican cheese or 1/2 a block of queso quesadilla
- 3 tomato romas
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cp. water from the pan they boil in
- 1/2 t ground oregano
- 1 t oregano leaves
- 2 t salt
- Cut across the tops of the onion and tomatoes making an asterisks on the top about an 1/8 of the way down.
- Place in a pan on the stove on high.
- Add a pinch of oregano leaves to the water.
- Boil in the water until soft.
- When they are soft, remove them from the water and place in a blender or magic bullet and blend while adding 1/2 cp. water from the pan, oregano, oregano leaves and salt. (If you only have one of the types of oregano that is okay. Just add a pinch more)
- 1 1/2 peruano or pinto beans
- salt to taste
- 1 T. corn oil
- 1/2-1 jalapeno (optional)
- Make 1 1/2 cps beans according to the bag adding salt to taste.
- Once thoroughly cooked and soft transfer the beans to a saucepan with 1 T corn oil.
- While the beans are cooking, using a bean smasher or big spoon, smash them so they are completely smooshed.
- You can add a 1/2-1 jalapeno that is chopped real small if you like spice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large skillet with a little water over medium heat, saute the chicken. Add the onion and saute for 5 more minutes.
- Drain any excess water.
- Shred the chicken into very small pieces.
- Add salsa roja to a small saucepan and add shredded chicken and onion. Bring to a boil then shut off.
- In a 9×9 casserole dish, spread a thin layer of the meat mixture in the bottom.
- Cover with a layer of tortillas followed by more meat mixture, then a layer of cheese, spread refried beans on the tortillas and place bean side down onto the cheese.
- Repeat meat, cheese, bean/tortilla pattern until the pan is full topping off with a layer of meat mixture and cheese. (I did 3 layers but you can do as many as you like.)
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly.
- Serve with lettuce, chopped tomato, sour cream, guacamole and salsa tomatillo.