- 5 New Mexican chilis, destemmed and deseeded (discard seeds)
- 2 Guajillo chilis, destemmed and deseeded (discard seeds)
- 3 chipotle chilis, destemmed and deseeded (discard seeds)
- 4 ancho chilis, destemmed and deseeded — retain seeds in a small saucepan
- 1 oz peanuts (hulled, not salted)
- 1 oz almonds, blanced or sliced
- 1 t peppercorns (not ground)
- 1 medium onion, large chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 piece wheat bread
- 1 tortilla
- 1 lb roma tomatoes (~4-6), cut in half
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1/2 tablet Mexican chocolate
- 1 c grapeseed oil (or a little over 3/4 c olive oil)
- 2 T chicken stock, low sodium
- 2 t salt
- 1 c sugar
Makes 22-25 1/2 c servings (depending on how much you reduce this)
- Begin boiling 2 1/2 quarts of water in a large pot.
- Add ancho seeds, peanuts, almonds and peppercorns to a small saucepan and toast over medium heat.
- While these are toasting, add the chilies to a grill pan and toast over medium heat.
- While the chilies are toasting, peel and smash the garlic and large chop the onion.
- When the seeds are nicely toasted, remove from heat and let cool.
- When the chilies are toasted, add them to the boiling water. Add the onion and garlic to the grill pan and toast.
- While they are toasting, cut the tomatoes in half. Once toasted, add the onion and garlic to boiling water.
- Toast tomatoes and cinnamon stick in grill pan.
- While tomatoes, etc are toasting, add tortilla and bread to boiling water (watch the bread expand).
- Once toasted, add the tomatoes and cinnamon stick to the boiling water. Also add the seed mixture, grapeseed oil, chocolate, stock and salt. Let simmer approximately 30 minutes.
- Use immersion blender to puree thoroughly. If you do not have an immersion blender, allow mixture to cool and blend in batches (add time to let it cool — do NOT blend while hot!).
- Turn heat on low and add the sugar. Simmer uncovered until thick, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken to the mole. Serve with rice and tostadas.