- 1 stick salted butter, slightly softened
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 3 T lime zest
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 T Key Lime juice, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 T buttermilk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp key lime juice
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease and flour one 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- Cream butter and 1 cup of granulated sugar in the bowl of your mixer on medium speed for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then mix in the lime zest.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In another bowl, combine 2 T of the lime juice and the buttermilk.
- With the mixer on medium, add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, starting and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour into the loaf pan, smooth, and bake for about 45 minutes or until browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs but no batter.
- While the cake bakes, cook the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar with the remaining 1/4 cup lime juice in a small saucepan over low heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- When the cake is done, let it cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and place on a cooling rack set over a pan. Spoon syrup mixture over the cake and let it cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and lime juice to make glaze.
- Spread over the top of cake.
Adapted from www.confessionsofacookbookqueen.com