Bread has always been one of my favorite foods ever since I was a kid. I remember holding the bread up to my nose and smelling it before every bite. Hehe I loved the smell and taste of my grandma’s homemade bread the best. I knew that I would make my own homemade bread when I was older. This is my favorite bread recipe so far. It tastes great and it is healthy too!
When I first starting making this recipe, I made it in the bread maker but every time the bread would come out really dense so I use the bread machine’s dough setting then take it out to rise for 1 more our then I bake it in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- 1/2 cp. hard red wheat berries, cooked
- 1 cp. cold water
- 2 T. canola oil
- 3 T. honey
- 3/4 t. salt
- 2 T instant potato flakes
- 3/4 cp. whole wheat flour*
- 2 1/2 cps. bread flour (or all-purpose)*
- 3 T powdered milk (Non-Fat Dry)
- 2 t white vinegar
- 2 T vital wheat gluten
- 2 t instant yeast (or quick rising yeast)
**If you like your bread more wheat tasting then switch the measuring for the whole wheat flour and bread flour. I have done it both ways and it has turned out.
- Combine 1/2 cup rinsed wheat berries and 2 cups water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, cover for about 1 1/2 – 2 hours, stirring occasionally, adding water if the berries soak it up. Berries are done when they are soft and some are popping open. (The wheat berries can be cooked in advance to make the bread. Refrigerate if cooked in advance.)
- Drain the wheat berries and rinse in cold water, making sure there is no standing water before adding the berries into the bread machine.
- Add the drained wheat berries and 1 cup cold water into the bread machine pan, make sure they are cooled to lukewarm.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in order of the list. (liquid ingredients then dry) Yeast will be last.
- Set bread machine to dough setting. Check in a few minutes, if dough looks too dry or too wet add a few tablespoons of warm water or flour to get a good soft dough consistency.
- When dough setting is complete, (mine takes 1 1/2 hours) remove dough from the bread machine pan onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a roll.
- Put in a bread pan that has been sprayed with cooking oil spray. The dough can be placed into two medium size loaf pans or one large loaf pan.
- Let rise for 40 minutes to 1 hour until it is about 1 1/2 inches above the pan.
- Cook on 350 degrees on the middle rack of the oven for about 30-35 minutes until it is golden brown. When thumped with your finger on the bottom of the loaf it should sound hollow.)
- Remove bread from pan to cooling rack. Let cool at least 1 hour before slicing.