This Mexican stew is another wonderful tasting soup. You can also add carrots! I would have but I was out of carrots at my house. I also stuffed cheese in a few of the meatballs for my friend who loves cheese stuffed inside.
- 1 1/2 Lbs. ground beef
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1 t. parsley
- 1/4 cp. corn flour
- 2 medium size potatoes
- 1 can chipotle sauce
- Salsa Roja ingredients:
- 3 tomato romas
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cp. water from the pan they boil in
- 1/2 t ground oregano
- 1 t oregano leaves
- 2 t salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium size bowl combine the ground beef, salt, pepper, parsley, and corn flour. Shape into medium size balls, a little bigger than a golf ball.
- Place meatballs on a cookie sheet and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Cut the potatoes into small chunks.
- In a medium size saucepan filled with water, add the potatoes and bring water to a boil. Cook until potatoes are soft.
- Directions for Salsa Roja:
- Cut across the tops of the onion and tomatoes making an asterisks on the top about an 1/8 of the way down.
- Place in a pan on the stove on high.
- Boil in the water until soft and you can see the tomatoes starting to pull apart.
- Add a pinch of oregano leaves to the water.
- When they are soft, remove them from the water and place in a blender or magic bullet and blend while adding 1/2 cp. water from the pan, oregano, oregano leaves and salt. (If you only have one of the types of oregano that is okay. Just add a pinch more)
- Add in 1/2 to 1 can of chipotle sauce depending on the hotness you like.
- Make sure it is all blended together.
- In a large bowl, pour in the salsa. Add the meatballs and potatoes.
- Serve warm with corn tortillas.