Another Mexican dish I am so proud of. It tasted legit Mexican too. 🙂
- 1 package La Moderna shells
- 1/2 cup corn oil or canola oil
- 1 – 1 1/2 Lbs. ground beef
- Salsa Roja ingredients:
- 3 tomato romas
- 1 onion
- water from the pan they boil in
- 1/2 t ground oregano
- 1 t oregano leaves
- 2 t salt
- In a large saucepan, heat the shells and the oil until the shells are golden brown, make sure to keep stirring them so they do not burn.
- While the shells are cooking in the oil, use the directions below to make the salsa roja.
- Brown the hamburger in a skillet and chop into small-medium pieces.
- Once the shells are done, strain them and rinse off the excess oil. Pour the shells back in the pan and add the finished salsa roja with the extra water from the saucepan the tomatoes and onion cooked in.
- Cook the shells in the salsa roja until the shells are done and soft.
- Once the hamburger is done, add the hamburger to the shell mixture.
- The shells and hamburger absorb a lot of the soup so make sure there is enough liquid. You can add hot water to the saucepan to make it more liquidy.
- Serve the soup with corn tortillas, sour cream, and Cholula sauce.
Directions for Salsa Roja:
- Cut across the tops of the onion and tomatoes making an asterisks on the top about an 1/8 of the way down.
- Place in a pan on the stove on high.
- Boil in the water until soft and you can see the tomatoes starting to pull apart.
- Add a pinch of oregano leaves to the water.
- When they are soft, remove them from the water and place in a blender or magic bullet and blend while adding 1/2 cp. water from the pan, oregano, oregano leaves and salt. (If you only have one of the types of oregano that is okay. Just add a pinch more)
- Make sure it is all blended together. Keep the extra water from the pan to add to the sauce. You will add this to the saucepan with the shells when the shells are strained and rinsed.