Another meal on my list of Mexican things to make completed! My friends loved these and they are super easy! You use the same salsa roja that is in my enchilada post and tastes great with salsa tomatillo too.
Other than the recipe that follows, you need to make chicken and shred it, salsa roja listed in my enchilada recipe, and refried beans.
- 2 Lbs. Shredded Chicken
- 4 cps. MASECA
- 2 1/2 cps. Water
- ½ T Salt
- 2 cps. Refried Beans
- The beans should be cooked, chicken should be cooked and shredded and salsa roja should be made (using the recipe from my enchilada post)
- In a medium bowl, mix the MASECA with the water and salt until a smooth even mixture is formed. Use both hands to thoroughly mix the corn flour with the water. The dough should not stick to your hands and it should be able to form a ball and all stick together. If the dough feels dry, gradually add teaspoons of water.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and form little balls. (I was able to make 10 portions)
- Flatten each ball and press the center in slightly and add a small amount of beans in the middle.
- Close the ball to mix in the beans and make a cylinder shape with the dough.
- Flatten each cylinder in the tortilla press or your hands to give it the shape of a “huarache” or sandal. It should be 1/4-1/2 an inch thick as shown in the picture.
- Cook the huarache on a medium-high skillet for 5 minutes on each side. The dough should be thoroughly cooked in the center.
- Prepare the huaraches: You can add queso on top and melt it, then add a layer of refried beans, then the chicken topping and serve with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, salsa roja and salsa tomatillo.