There are a lot of variations for enchiladas. These are made with red sauce and salsa roja. Thank you to my wonderful boyfriend for inspiring me to cook Mexican and for teaching me the right techniques. 🙂
- About 15 corn tortillas, soft and warm
- 1 potato
- 4 chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 onion
- sour cream
- 1 queso quesadilla
- 1 queso fresco
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- 3 tomato romas
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cp. water from the pan they boil in
- 1/2 t ground oregano
- 1 t oregano leaves
- 2 t salt
- 4 Guajillo chilies
- 1 small onion
- 1 garlic clove
Directions for Salsa Roja:
- Cut across the tops of the onion and tomatos making an asterisks on the top about an 1/8 of the way down.
- Place in a pan on the stove on high.
- Add a pinch of oregano leaves to the water.
- Boil in the water until soft.
- When they are soft, remove them from the water and place in a blender or magic bullet and blend while adding 1/2 cp. water from the pan, oregano, oregano leaves and salt. (If you only have one of the types of oregano that is okay. Just add a pinch more)
- Remove the stems from the guajillo chilies and place in the water with the onion.
- Boil in a pan about 30 minutes until the chilies and onion are soft.
- Place chilies and onion in a blender with the garlic and blend until completely smooth. Make sure to add enough liquid from the pan because the sauce should be thin.
- Strain out the seeds from the sauce.
- Place sauce in a shallow bowl or shallow plastic container.
- Cook the chicken and then shred. Cook the potato until it is soft and then add a dash of salt and mash. Cut the onion into strips and fry. Shred the queso quesadilla. Place the chicken, potato, onion, and queso in separate bowls.
- Put a medium size frying pan on medium-low heat.
- Dip both sides of one tortillas into the red sauce making sure it is fully covered and place onto the frying pan.
- Add whatever ingredients you want to the filling. Place either the chicken, potato, queso, or onion or a combination of those into the middle of the tortilla and wrap the tortilla.
- Let the tortilla cook about 1 minute on each side. Repeat steps 3-5 to use all of the tortillas and red sauce.
- Place the tortillas on a plate and top with sour cream, lettuce, queso fresco, and salsa roja. You can also add salsa verde on top for extra spice.