This is a healthy and easy recipe that you can prepare in the morning let sit in the crock pot then enjoy. It is key to keep it in the crockpot for 5-7 hours because all of the flavors marinate together creating an incredible flavor. To be extra healthy I skipped the cheese and the rolls and ate mine in a whole wheat wrap which tasted amazing.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 lbs bulk ground sweet sausage (I used Italian sausage.)
- 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 2 15oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- sliced provolone or mozzarella
- Fresh rolls
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the sausage and ground beef, breaking into bite sized portions as it cooks.
- Transfer to a large slow cooker. Stir in the roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, and peppers into the slow cooker with the sausage mixture.
- Cook on low for 5-7 hours.
- Toast rolls with a slice of mozzarella on each until golden brown and cheese is starting to melt. Using a slotted spoon, pile sausage and pepper mixture onto rolls.