Ingredients: (Makes 2 Stombolis)
- 1 package active dry yeast or 2 1/4 tsp.
- 1 1/3 cps. warm water
- 1/4 cp. oil, canola or vegetable
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4-5 cps. flour
For Filling: (For 1 Stromboli)
- 1/4 lb. thinly sliced ham (I used canadian bacon)
- 1/4 lb. pepperoni (I used salami)
- Dried Basil
- Dried Oregano
- 4 slices provolone cheese (I used cheddar)
- 1 cp. mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil
- In a large bowl dissolve yeast in the warm water.
- Add oil, salt, and 2 cps. flour.
- Mix until smooth with a wooden spoon. OR If you have a paddle attachment for your electric mixer you can beat until smooth.
- Add in the remaining 2-3 cps. flour to form a soft dough. (I ended up adding 2 more.) I used my hands to mix in and incorporate the flour kneading with my hands OR Switch to the dough hook attachment and knead dough on low speed until smooth and elastic for about 10 minutes.
- Roll dough with your hands into a ball and place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled for 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down with your fists. Put dough on a lightly floured surface and divide in half. Roll each portion out into a 15X12 inch rectangle.
- Put ham slices lengthwise down half of the rectangle. Place pepperoni on top.
- Sprinkle with a little basil and oregano.
- Put provolone cheese on top and then sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Sprinkle with more basil and oregano.
- Fold plain half of the dough over the filling and seal the ends well. You can roll the extra dough on the sides upwards.
- Brush with oil and sprinkle with oregano.
- Bake on a greased baking sheet for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned at 400 degrees.
*If you are only making one Stromboli you can freeze the other half of the dough