These are Special Special K Bars with a marshmallow layer added to the original Karol syrup-peanut butter-Special K layer and the chocolate-butterscotch layer. So delicious, rich, and addicting. They are a must at pot-lucks, holidays and anytime you want to indulge in a sweet treat. They are good warm and fresh and even good when they have been in the freezer. For some reason, I always prefer to eat my sweet treats out of the freezer because they have an extra added crunch. These bars go beyond the original Special K bars with their new marshmallow layer. I guarantee that whoever eats these will not just stop at one.
- 1 cp. sugar
- 1 cp. light Karol syrup (same as corn syrup)
- 1 cp. peanut butter
- 1 T vanilla
- 6 cups Special K cereal
- 1 cp. butterscotch chips
- 1 cp. chocolate chips
- 1 can marshmallow cream OR 1 bag marshmallows plus 2 T butter
- In a large pan on medium heat, combine the sugar and syrup until melted and they begin to boil, then remove from the stove.
- Add in peanut butter and vanilla and stir until completely mixed in.
- Using a spatula or a wooden spoon, add Special K and mix until thoroughly coated.
- Grease a 9X13 pan and spread the Special K mixture into the pan pressing it down with a zip lock so it doesn’t stick to you
- Spread the marshmallow cream on the warm bars OR melt the bag of marshmallows with butter on low heat over the stove until melted and then spread over the warm bars
- Heat butterscotch chips and chocolate chips in a glass dish in the microwave for 2 1/2 minutes while stirring at 30 second intervals. Make sure the chocolates are completely melted and mixed then spread evenly over the marshmallow layer on the bars.