One of the cakes I made for my dad’s 51st birthday dinner. Everyone loved it. Some took leftovers home, some had three helping and I even surprised two people at work with it. It was definitely a hit and the highlight of the meal.
rum cake base
- 2 cps flour
- 1 1/2 cps sugar
- 1/2 cp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cp instant vanilla pudding mix, dry
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cp canola oil
- 1/2 cp milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cp golden rum
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp butter extract flavor
- 1/8 tsp rum extract flavor
rum soaking syrup
- 1/2 cp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cp water
- 1 cp sugar
- 1/2 cp golden rum
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 10 to 12 cup bundt pan with cooking spray and coat with flour
- Place all of the cake ingredients except the rum, vanilla and butter and rum flavorings in the bowl of your stand mixer and blend on medium speed for 2 minutes. Be sure to scrape down the bowl after one minute.
- Add the rum, vanilla and butter and rum flavorings to the batter and blend for another minute. Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and spread level with a spatula.
- Bake the cake for 50 to 55 minutes. When done, a piece of dry uncooked spaghetti or linguine will come out clean. (a toothpick is too short to use as a tester)
- Leave the cake in the pan to cool slightly while you make the soaking syrup.
- In a medium-sized saucepan combine the syrup ingredients, except vanilla. Bring to a rapid boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes, until the syrup thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour about 1/4 of the syrup over the cake (still in the pan). Allow the syrup to soak in, then repeat again and again until all the syrup is used.
- Cover the pan loosely with plastic wrap and allow the cake to sit out overnight to cool completely and soak in the syrup. You can also set the cake outside to cool or in the refrigerator. Make sure the cake is cooled enough that it won’t fall apart when taken out of the pan. (I cooled mine for about 30 minutes and then
- Loosen the edges of the cake and invert on to your serving plate.