These brownies are one of my favorite treats to bake for the volleyball team I coach. Every time I bake them I tell myself I can’t eat any but then I end up eating at least two! They are hard to stay away from, so rich and delicious.
For the Brownie: (You can use a box brownie mix as well, follow box instructions baking in a 9X13 pan)
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
For the Cookie Dough:
- ¾ cp unsalted butter
- ¾ cp light brown sugar
- ¾ cp granulated sugar
- 3 T whole milk
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cps all-purpose flour
- 1½ cps mini chocolate chips
- Prepare the Brownies: (You can also use a boxed brownie mix if you don’t want to make them from scratch-follow the boxes directions making them in a 9X13 pan) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9×13-inch pan with foil, with enough to hang over all four sides.
- In a medium glass bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract, scraping the bowl as needed. Mix in the melted chocolate until combined. Reduce the speed to low, add the flour and mix just until combined (don’t over-mix). Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- Prepare the Cookie Dough: In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer on medium speed to combine the butter and both sugars.
- Add the milk and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Reduce the speed to low and mix in the flour just until combined. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the cookie dough over the cooled brownies.
- Refrigerate until the dough is firm, about an hour before serving.