One of my family friends has been asking me to make these for her since last summer. I finally got the ambition to make them and it actually was not that difficult. These cupcakes are perfect for any birthday or occasion for that matter because after all, they are Despicable Me cupcakes!
(Makes about 60 cupcakes) (I made 20 despicable me cupcakes with 1 extra white cake in a 9X13. You can half the recipe for just the cupcakes without the extra batter)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- ½ cp. shortening
- 3 cps granulated sugar
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cps all-purpose flour
- ½ t. baking powder
- ¼ t. salt
- 1 cp. buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- 10 Twinkies, cut in half
- 40 white smarties, (some get 2 eyes some get 1 eye)
- 60 chocolate sprinkles, the long pieces
- white frosting, 1 can bought or homemade
- black tube of frosting, with the skinny decorating tip
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line 20 cupcake tins with white paper (bake extra batter in lined cupcake or greased cake pan)
- Cream together butter and shortening until light and fluffy with an electric mixer.
- Slowly add sugar one cup at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each cup before adding another.
- Add eggs one at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each egg before adding another.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter and shortening mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Beat cake batter on high speed for about 5 seconds to fully incorporate all ingredients. Stop mixer and scrape down sides and bottom of bowl, making sure to have all ingredients mixed well.
- Evenly distribute cake batter between cupcake tins filling only half full and place pans into oven.
- **Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove and allow to cool on wire rack before decorating
- **While cake is baking prepare your decorations by cutting ten Twinkies in half resulting in 2o Twinkies, sorting out 38-40 white smarties depending on how many minions you want to have 1 or 2 eyes and separating out 3 chocolate sprinkles for each minion (Twinkie). See picture A below
- Place 1-2 small dots (depending on how many eyes the minion will have) with black frosting on each Twinkie where the eyes would be on the opposite side of the white filling end to hold the smartie in place. Place the smartie on top of the black frosting for the eyes. See picture B below
- Outline the smarties with the black frosting circling the entire smartie and then using a toothpick to add the black frosting into the center of the two smarties See picture B below
- Drag a line from each side of the smartie to the side of the Twinkie using black frosting See picture C below
- Add a smiley face to each Twinkie See picture D below
- Apply a dollop, 1 T of white frosting to the top of each cupcake and then securely place the Twinkie on top of the cupcake towards the back of it See picture F below
- Stick 3 long chocolate sprinkles in the top of each Twinkie, securing them down into the Twinkie so they do not fall out