- 1½ c. all-purpose flour
- ¾ c. sugar
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- ⅓ c. oil
- 2 tbsp. applesauce
- 1 c. grated or shredded carrot
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1½ tsp. vanilla
- ¼ c. raisins (soaked in boiling water for about 5 minutes to poof up)
(Optional) Cream cheese topping:
- 8 oz. (1 block) original cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ c. powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. vanilla bean paste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray and flour an 8-well mini loaf pan or 1 standard loaf pan, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together sugars, oil, applesauce and vanilla. With mixing speed on low, beat in one egg at a time. Add the grated carrot and mix until just combined.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and raisins. With mixing speed on low, slowly add the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- In a medium size mixing bowl (using a hand mixer or a sturdy spatula) beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar, egg, salt and vanilla bean paste until smooth and creamy. Set aside. (not done in my pictures)
- Pour the carrot cake batter into the prepared pan, then top with cream cheese mixture, making sure to spread evenly across the batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes (or about 1 hour for a loaf). The cream cheese should be lightly browned on top and it will crack.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for about 2 minutes then loosen the edges with a knife and transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool for 15 more minutes before serving.
Adapted from: Life Made Simple stephenandnatalie