I arrived back from Mexico and was craving a chocolate cake that was rich but moist at the same time. I called my grandma asking for her advice on making a great rich and moist chocolate cake and she gave me her recipe for Feather Devil’s Food Cake that she used to make when she was younger and had been saving all these years. She also insisted that I use her “world famous” fudge frosting which I must say is delicious. You must be in a chocolaty mood for this cake! 🙂 Enjoy!
Ingredients for Cake:
- 1/2 cp. shortening
- 1 cp. sugar
- 1/2 cp. brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 squares chocolate melted (I used about a 1/2 cp. of semi-sweet chips melted)
- 1/2 cp. hot water
- 2 cps. flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t baking soda
- 2/3 cp. sour milk (add 1/4 t vinegar to 2/3 cp. milk to make sour)
Ingredients for Fudge Frosting:
- 2 squares chocolate
- 1 1/2 cp. sugar
- 7 T milk
- 2 T shortening
- 2 T butter
- 1 T white Karo Syrup
- 1 t vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9X13 pan
- Mix all ingredients together until they are thoroughly mixed.
- Pour into pan and bake for 30-35 minutes
- While Cake is baking prepare the frosting:
- In a small pan over medium-high, slowly bring all ingredients except vanilla to a rolling boil stirring constantly
- boil one minute then shut off and add 1 t vanilla
- beat all ingredients in the pan until they are thickened (you can put in the fridge to help it cool down while the cake is cooling but you don’t want it to be too thick to smear onto the cake)
- Once the cake is cooled, spread the fudge frosting evenly over the cake and it is ready to eat!
- Optional: I was feeling extra adventurous that day and made this cake into a vanilla pudding poke cake. Once the cake has cooled and before I put the frosting on it I took chopsticks and poked holes into the cake all over. I mixed instant vanilla pudding mix with water to make it liquidy and poured the pudding into the holes on the cake. Next I continued to frost it and refrigerated the cake.