Great Grandma’s best recipe for ginger bread roll out cookies. You can use any shape cookie cutter you want and any size. These cookies are extremely easy and quick to make and they roll out without a hassle.
- 1 cp. white sugar
- 1 cp. molasses
- 1 cp. shortening
- 1 heaping tsp. baking soda
- 1 cp. hot water
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 t cloves
- 1 t allspice
- 1 t salt
- 1 t ginger
- 5 cps. flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Mix together sugar, spices, and salt.
- Melt shortening in the hot water until it is melted and a liquid (you may need to microwave it or use the stove), then stir in the baking soda.
- Add shortening mixture and molasses to sugar and spices and mix well.
- Add flour and mix until the dough forms.
- Spread flour on the counter and rolling pin and roll the dough out at any thickness desired. (Cookies do tend to rise)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on pan for 1-2 minutes and then transfer to cooling racks.