One of my friends texted me this morning at 7:30 AM saying you should make salted honey cheesecake cupcakes. I saw the text at about 9 AM and responded that I could make them but where did he see the recipe. He said he saw the recipe on the news. I searched the web but I only found salted caramel dessert recipes. I knew that this was my chance to take what I knew about cakes, cheesecakes, and cheesecake crusts to make my own recipe from scratch. This recipe is very delicious and is easier than the recipe looks. I did not add any frosting to the top because they are fairly sweet but you can definitely add either a butter cream vanilla frosting or cream cheese frosting.
Salted Honey Cheesecake Cupcakes
Makes about 12 cupcakes, you can double for 24.
Ingredients for Vanilla Graham Cake:
- 1 ½ cps (11 sheets) graham cracker crumbs
- 1 ½ t baking powder
- 1/8 t salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- ¾ cp. Milk
- 3/8 cp OR ¼ cp + 2 T shortening
- ¾ cp sugar
- ½ t vanilla extract
Ingredients for Cheesecake Filling:
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cp powdered sugar
- ¼ t vanilla extract
- 1/8 cp. Honey
Ingredients for Graham Cracker Crust:
- 4 ½ sheets of graham crackers, crushed finely
- 2 T salted butter, melted
- Begin with the Cheesecake filling: Combine the cream cheese, vanilla, honey, and powdered sugar in a medium bowl and mix well until blended and smooth.
- Transfer the mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap and shape into a log about 1 ½ inches wide.
- Smooth the plastic wrap tightly around the log. Wrap foil around the plastic wrap and place in the freezer at least 2-3 hours.
- Crust: Stir butter and graham crackers together. Spoon a heaping teaspoon of the mixture onto the bottom of each cupcake liner and pat down.
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees when the cream cheese mixture has about 20 minutes left of freezing.
- Blend the graham crackers so you have fine crumbs. Place the graham cracker crumbs in a mixing bowl and add the baking powder and salt.
- With a blender, blend together egg yolks, milk, shortening, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the graham crumbs and mix well.
- Beat egg whites with mixer until stiff and fold into mixture.
- Assembly: Once the cream cheese log is chilled, unwrap it and slice the log into 12 equal pieces. If it is still soft you can scoop it instead. You need 1-2 t of cream cheese per cupcake.
- Place one T. of cupcake batter over the crust in the cupcake pan.
- Place cream cheese on top of the batter and evenly distribute the cream cheese between each cupcake tin.
- Pour the rest of the batter over the cheesecake equally between each tin.
- Bake the cupcakes 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake part comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes and then place on a rack to cool completely.