- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 large egg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/16 cup milk (a little more might be needed to reach desired consistency)
- Blue food coloring
- Mini chocolate chip cookies, cut in half
- White baking melts ( I used white cream cheese because that is the only thing I had.)
- Black or brown M&M’s
- For the Cookies: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the baking powder and flour.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and granulated sugar until light and creamy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, as well as the vanilla extract and almond extract. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. The dough will be very stiff.
- Roll the dough out on a well-floured surfaced. Cookies should be about 1/4 inch thick. Cut the dough into circles using a small cookie cutter. (I used a bowl to trace and cut the cookies to make them bigger.)
- Use whatever amount of batter that is left over from making cookie monsters to mix with chocolate chips and bake as small cookies (for the mouths and decorations on the sides of the monsters.)
- Place the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until edges are set and slightly browned. Allow cookies to cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the frosting:, add the shortening and cream cheese to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until light and creamy, about 1-2 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and almond extract. Add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, and beat until combined after each addition. Add the heavy cream and beat until frosting reaches your desired consistency. Finally add the blue coloring until frosting reaches your desired color.
- Assembly: Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a small “grass” tip (I used a zip-lock bag cutting the corner). Pipe frosting onto the cookies in swirls.
- Add the white baking melts (or whatever you have for the whites of the eyes and M&M’s as eyes. In order to attach the M&M’s to the baking melts, use the frosting or melted chocolate chips
Adapted from Katrina’s Kitchen