This chicken pot pie is a easy recipe to make on a cold winter day when you are stuck inside. The longest part of the process is letting the chicken and veggies simmer for 1 hr. but then it only takes 30 minutes to bake. It is very delicious and easily liked by the while family.
- 1 lb. chicken
- 1 onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 or carrot sticks
- 1/4 cp. green peas
- 1/2 cp. sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1/2 t rosemary
- 1/2 thyme
- 1/2 t salt
- 4 peppercorns
- 2 T butter
- 1/2 of 1/3 cp. flour
- 3/4 cps. chicken broth
- 1/2 cp. milk
- 2 pie crusts
- Cut up chicken in chunks. Cut onion, celery, and carrots into small rounds.
- Place chicken, celery, carrots, onion, rosemary, thyme, salt, and peppercorns into a pot with water. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer 1 hr. until chicken is tender and vegetables are soft.
- Skim any fat from the broth and discard.
- Melt 2 T butter in a saucepan and stir in flour. Mix well. Stir in chicken broth and milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until smooth and thickened. Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the chicken and vegetables are done and the white sauce is thickened, stir the chicken and vegetables into the sauce until it is all mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust. Place the other pie crust on top sealing it to the other.
- Cut vents in the pie crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15 min. Then 350 degrees for 15 min. until the crust is golden.