- 4 cups fresh or frozen tart cherries
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 tablespoon almond extract
- Your favorite pie crust or pie dough recipe for 2 crust pie
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, to dot
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place cherries in medium saucepan and place over heat. Cover. After the cherries lose considerable juice, which may take a few minutes, remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cornstarch together.
- Pour this mixture into the hot cherries and mix well. Add the almond extract and mix.
- Return the mixture to the stove and cook over low heat until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and let cool. If the filling is too thick, add a little water, too thin, add a little more cornstarch.
- Use your favorite pie dough recipe. Prepare your crust. Divide in half. Roll out each piece large enough to fit into an 8 to 9-inch pan.
- Pour cooled cherry mixture into the crust.
- Dot with butter. (see picture below)
- Moisten edge of bottom crust. Place top crust on and flute the edge of the pie.
- Make a slit in the middle of the crust for steam to escape.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool.
Adapted from: http://www.foodnetwork.com