These cookies are extremely special to my blog because my blog’s title has popcorn in it. I found this recipe on Pinterest one day and I immediately checked it out. This combination had me wondering if it really could be a good kind of cookie. Popcorn is one of my top five favorite foods and I don’t know what I would do without the tasty snack. I decided to give the recipe a try because of my love for popcorn. The results were amazing! They tasted like caramel corn cookies. Here they are!! If you love popcorn and you love cookies then you will love these cookies.
- 2 tablespoons butter (I used butter to pop my popcorn but you can use vegetable oil or canola oil)
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- To make the popcorn: Heat butter over medium-high heat in a large saucepan until hot.
- Add the kernels, and cover, shaking the pan to make sure none of the kernels burn.
- As soon as you hear the first few kernels pop, shake the pan until all of the kernels pop (5 minutes or so).
- Remove from heat, add salt, and transfer to bowl.
- Dough: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugars, egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Whisk flour and baking soda together.
- Stir flour mixture into butter-sugar mixture, until combined.
- Fold in popcorn, making sure to get dough well distributed. It’s okay if the popcorn breaks as you’re mixing, and don’t worry if it seems like there’s too much popcorn for the amount of dough. It all works out in the end.
- Roll dough into mounds the size of a golf ball or slightly bigger. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, making sure to leave a 2 inch gap between cookies.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Let cool for a minute or so on the baking sheet before transferring to a rack to finish cooling.
Makes about 24 cookies
Adapted from: www.milkandmode.com