I wanted the healthiest cinnamon/caramel roll recipe possible so I made these. The dough is made with a bread maker but there are also directions without a bread maker. When I rolled out the dough I cut long strips of dough to make giant cinnamon rolls but the dough can be rolled and cut smaller to make bite size, or personal size rolls. You can make cinnamon rolls or caramel rolls with this recipe. This recipe makes 32 rolls but you can freeze the unbaked ones for later.
- 1 cp. fat-free milk
- 1/4 cp. canola oil (I use coconut oil)
- 1/3 cp. sugar
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 pkgs dry yeast (or 4 1/2 t)
- 1/4 cp. warm water
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cps. all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cps. whole wheat flour
- 2 T cinnamon
- 3/4 cp. brown sugar
- For Caramel sauce: Combine until melted in a saucepan over medium heat: 1/3 cp. packed brown sugar, 1/3 cp. butter cubed, 2 T light corn syrup, and 1 1/2 t milk. (Double or triple for more sauce or more rolls.)
Directions with Bread maker:
- Place milk, oil, water, and eggs into the pan. Next add the sugar, salt, and flours. Add the yeast last. Select the dough setting on your bread maker. Once the dough setting is complete, take the dough out, divide it in half and form into two balls. Cover it with plastic and let sit for 10 more minutes.
- Continue with step 4 below.
Directions without bread maker:
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk until just below the boiling point. Don’t boil. Stir in the oil, sugar, and salt. Remove the milk mixture from the heat and cool until lukewarm.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and egg whites using an electric mixture. Add in the yeast and milk mixture. Using a wooden spoon or mixer, mix in the flours., 1 cp. at a time, until a soft dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a generously floured work surface and knead gently until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. If using a mixer, use a dough hook and follow the manufacturer’s directions. Return the dough to the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 1 1/2 hrs. Divide the dough in half and form into 2 balls. Cover with plastic and let sit for 10 more minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Spray an 11 X 14 baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Roll each ball of dough with a rolling pin into a 16 X 8 rectangle. Spray the dough with cooking spray and sprinkle with half of the cinnamon mixture.
- To make small rolls, starting at the long side, roll up each rectangle and slice into about 16 pieces and place on the prepared baking sheet. To make giant rolls cut strips the long way down the rectangle and circle around each other forming a giant circle.
- Freeze what you do not want to bake at this point.
- Let dough rise until double in size, 1 1/2 hrs.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For caramel rolls: pour caramel sauce over all rolls and in pan.
- For cinnamon rolls: Brush dough with whisked egg to make golden brown.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve warm.