This is a mixture of Italian and Mexican. I have grown to love salsa on almost everything. Salsa roja is made for enchiladas and tostadas but it goes great with any pasta dish.
Ingredients for Jumbo Shells:
- 24 jumbo shells
- 1 Lb. ground beef
- 15 Oz. ricotta cheese
- 2 1/2 cps. mozzarella cheese
- 1 cp. + 1/4 cp parmesan cheese divided
- 1/2 cp. + 1/4 cp cheddar cheese divided
- 2 eggs
- garlic salt
Directions for Jumbo Shells:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Cook shells following their box’s directions and brown the hamburger.
- Mix ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, 1/2 cp. of cheddar cheese, 2 whisked eggs, garlic salt, pepper, and salt in a medium size bowl.
- Rinse shells with cold water.
- Add the hamburger to the cheese mixture and mix together.
- Stuff each shell with the hamburger and cheese mixture filling the shell to the top but not overflowing and set the shells in a 9X13 pan.
- Pour in salsa between the shells into the bottom of the pan to fill the bottom with sauce. Shells are sitting on top of the sauce.
- Top the shells with 1/4 cp. cheddar cheese and 1/4 cp parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt, pepper, and salt.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Let cook for 15 minutes before serving.
Ingredients for Salsa Roja:
- 3 tomato romas
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cp. water from the pan they boil in
- 1/2 t ground oregano
- 1 t oregano leaves
- 2 t salt
Directions for Salsa Roja:
- Cut across the tops of the onion and tomatoes making an asterisks on the top about an 1/8 of the way down.
- Place in a pan on the stove on high.
- Boil in the water until soft.
- Add a pinch of oregano leaves to the water.
- When they are soft, remove them from the water and place in a blender or magic bullet and blend while adding 1/2 cp. water from the pan, oregano, oregano leaves and salt. (If you only have one of the types of oregano that is okay. Just add a pinch more)
- Make sure it is all blended together. You will add this salsa to the Jumbo Shell pan.