My sixth grade students were awesome this past week so I made them these cupcakes on Friday. They all loved them and cannot wait for more cupcakes. For some reason, sixth graders and maybe it is true for all middle school students, LOVE CUPCAKES! I enjoyed making them, it was a great excuse to try out a new recipe.
I had some extra chocolate chips so I filled them in the center of each cupcake and sprinkled them on top. I also did not have enough nutella so my frosting is lighter in color.
Ingredients for Cupcakes:
- 1 cp. flour
- 1/2 cp. unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 cp. (1 stick) butter softened
- 1 cp. sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cp. milk
- Chocolate chips for the insides and tops of cupcakes
Ingredients for Nutella Frosting:
- 1/2 cp. nutella
- 1 1/2 cps. confectioners’ sugar
- 5 T heavy cream
- Mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar on medium high until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to low and add in vanilla and egg.
- Add milk and four mixture alternately while still mixing.
- Pour 1/2 the batter into each lined cupcake pan, sprinkle the top of the batter with chocolate chips and fill the rest of the batter so each is 3/4 full. (The cupcakes will have chocolate chips in the center.)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes and remove from the pan before adding the frosting and chocolate chips.
- For frosting:
- Mix all ingredients together until fluffy.